Thursday 28 April 2011

Blog virginity gone!


Hey there! I’m Mon, a uni student from Melbourne University’s Burnley campus, where I am doing an associate degree in environmental horticulture. I hope to end up with additional friends; a job involving creativity alongside horticulture and myself becoming filthy, filthy rich. 

My interest in this field started with the garden at home. After years and years of neglect, and a collection of poor design choices (sorry mum and dad, but the truth hurts ok?) I decided to do a little renovating, kind of, sort of, it involved me ripping out bin-fulls of retched Kikuyu grass which decided that it wanted more in life than to be just grass. Other things I did included trying to make the garden look harmonious… I respect and admire Australia’s take on multiculturalism, but in the garden, a bright yellow European fountain with a Buddha statue underneath chilling with 3 of the seven dwarfs, and a cactus plant just doesn’t look right. 

Now imagine all 3 of these things sitting together....

Thus concludes my story of why I appreciate neat/creative garden design and loathe Kikuyu grass. I’m planning to have fun re-designing the ridiculously huge garden and beating the guy next door (at garden design, not beating in an abusive way).

Plans for the garden’s future:
-A section with a blue and silver colour theme eg Lobelias and Lavender
Blue flowers are actually not that rare, just under appreciated and under used.

- An oriental section with a patio pond
There’s already a Maple Tree at this spot, and I’m sure Buddha would be more comfortable underneath the shade.

-Re-doing the backyard so I’ll have an edible garden
I’ve already propagated a bunch of herbs and collected berry plants from the market; I just need them to look harmonious together now…

2 comments:

  1. An edible garden is a real unique interest that is a trend currently.

    I like the sound of it, since most people decided to hide their veggie plots or other kind of edible plants behind there fence or hedge, ignoring the good foliage they provide or even flowers.

    Making a section of blue and silver color theme is also a cool idea as it really go outside the box of the green identity, it shows how plants could also be in other cool colors!

    Awesome idea, best of luck in making it come to reality :D !

    - Justin H Kusnandar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justin! Just holler if you need any plants, I'll probably have extras.

    ReplyDelete